Orchard Lea, Uphempston, Littlehempston

List Entry Number: 1308703. Grade II listed.

Originally called Uphempston Farm, Littlehempston.

In the 1841 census William Evans lived here with his wife Agness, 4 children and a servant. The house was owned by Rev. Matthew Lowndes the Vicar at Buckfastleigh.
In the 1851 census James Elliott a surveyor and farmer lived here with his wife Mary, 6 children and 4 servants. He had 18 children altogether. James also owned or farmed Lower Uphempston Farm now known as Tophempston (the old name for Uphempston).
In 1871 William Lee lived here with his wife Anna Marie and 1 son, also a visitor and a servant.
In 1881 John Wood lived here with his mother in law Diana and 4 servants.
John Wood continued to live here in the 1891 census with 3 servants.

The farm yard and farm buildings were to the north and a back entrance through large stone pillars was also to the north. There is also a well still in use. The water came down from springs in the fields going up to Redpost and the water was at one time stored in the building attached to the 19th C house on the west side.

With the addition of the 19th C house there were also two main gardens called the Great Garden and the Little Garden.

It ceased to be a farm in about 1900.

Many Descendants of these people have come to search for the house where their families lived and one branch of the Elliotts live in Queensland Australia and have with help researched the field and building they inherited when James Elliott senior died.