Directories and Gazetteers

A Topographical Dictionary of England

by  Samuel Lewis (1831)

Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)

HEMPSTON (LITTLE), a parish in the hundred of HAYTOR, county of DEVON, 1¾ mile (N. by E.) from Totness, containing 323 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese, of Exeter, rated in the king’s books at £19, 15. 2., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.


History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850

Transcribed from William White’s History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

LITTLE HEMPSTON, a small scattered village, in a valley opening to the Dart, 2 miles N.E. of Totnes ; has in its parish 268 souls, and 1270A. 3R. 17P. of fertile land. The manor, anciently held by the Arundells, belongs to the Duke of Cleveland and the Countess of Sandwich ; but F. Cornish, Esq., and other freeholders have estates here.

Gatcomb, a seat which was rebuilt by the late C. Cornish, Esq., was the birth place of Zachary Bogan, a learned divine, who published treatises on the idioms of Homer and Hesiod. The Church (St. John,) is a small antique fabric, and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £19 15s. 2½d., and in 1831 at £201, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. F. H. Hele, M.A. The glebe is 56A. 2R. 11P., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £207 per annum. £138, left to the poor by Cphr. Blackhall, and other donors, was laid out in 1727, in the purchase of Dreadon close, (10A.) now let for about £13 a year. The poor parishioners have also a yearly rent charge of £9. 5s. 6d., out of the great tithes of Berry Pomeroy, left by William Bogan, in 1723. They have likewise the dividends of £111. 2s. 3d. Old South Sea Annuities, purchased in 1744, with arrears of this rent charge.

DIRECTORY

Elliott James, jun. land surveyor
Evans Margaret, vict. Bolton Arms
Hele Rev Fitz Henry, M.A., Rectory
Holman John, blacksmith
Jordon Walter, carpenter
Lake Richard, shopkeeper
Tibbitt Thos. carpenter & vict. New Bridge Inn
Tucker George, parish clerk
Weston Henry, Esq. Park Hill
Williams Hy. B., Esq. Gatcomb

FARMERS. (* are Owners.)

* Blackler John, Lilliput
* Elliott Jas. sen. Top Hempston
Evans Agnes
Lang Rt. and John
* Palk Charles, (& cider merchant)
Preston John, (& miller,) Fishacre
Rape John & Wm.
Skinner Thos.
* Whiteway Thomas, Bokeyt

Note: This information is provided by GENUKI and must not be used for commercial purposes.


The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)

LITTLE HEMPSTON, a parish in the hundred of Haytor, county Devon, 2 miles N.E. of Totnes, its post town. The village, which is small and irregularly built, stands on the road from Exeter to Plymouth, in a valley near the river Dart and the South Devon railway. The land is chiefly arable. Limestone is quarried for burning into lime.

The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £200. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £290, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a small ancient edifice with a square embattled tower. In the interior of the church are some fine windows, a carved screen, and monuments with recumbent effigies of Knight Templars. The parochial charities produce about £26 per annum. The old glebe house, supposed to have been built in the reign of Richard II., is now a farmhouse.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003

Note: This information is provided by GENUKI and must not be used for commercial purposes.


Morris and Co.’s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer, 1870

Transcribed by Val HENDERSON

Page 510

HEMPSTON (LITTLE) is a village and parish in Totnes union, containing, by the census of 1861, 244 inhabitants, and 1270 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Totnes, hundred of Haytor, East Devonshire; 2 miles north-east from Totnes, near to the river Dart. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Fitz-Henry Hele, M.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1838, at £207 per annum, with residence and 56A. 2R. 11P. of glebe land, and is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor.

The church is a small ancient edifice, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, with tower; it has been restored, and a fine toned new organ placed therein. There are some charitable bequests for the benefit of the poor.

Clergy and Gentry.

Earle Augustus, Esq., Gatcombe house

Gower Rev. George, Church cottage

Gower Miss Hannah, Church cottage

Harris John, Esq., Park hill

Hele Rev. Fitz-Henry, M.A., The Rectory

Trades and Professions.

Adams George, yeoman, Buckyett

Berry —, farmer, Fishacre

Blackler Edward, miller, Gatcombe mill

Bow John, parish clerk

Evans William, farmer, Grattons

Hayward Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer

Lee William, farmer, Up Hempston

Palk Mrs. Ann, “Bolton Arms”

Reap John and Wm., farmers, Court farm

SHINNER JAMES, farmer, Hampstead

Smerdon John, farmer, Lillisford

Tippett Thos., carpenter, “New Bridge” inn

~

Letters arrive from Totnes at 7.30 a.m.; dispatch at 5.20 p.m. Totnes is the nearest money order office

Note: This information is provided by rootsweb and must not be used for commercial purposes.